Monday, April 24, 2006

Urban Legends, Bring 'em on!

I found this website called Snopes that outlines a whole whackload of urban legends, explaining their origins and whether they are true or not. Pretty much every crazy story you’ve ever heard is in here, and the authors do their best to systematically fact-check all their sources. From this page I learned that TV’s Mr. Ed was not a horse, but a zebra. Black and white lines did not show up on old B&W televisions, so they could get away with it. This was a problem with football, because the referees looked like they had floating heads. I also learned that a news reporter in the 1970s committed suicide -- on air. And rather dramatically, too.

www.snopes.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've visited Snopes now for many years. I used to use it to reply to all the people who sent me chain e-mails about Microsoft/sick children/etc. My favorite are the ones that are actually true, like the wave of molasses that killed 21 people in Boston in 1919. What a tasty way to die!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home