Thursday, June 29, 2006

Médecins Sans Frontières / Doctors Without Borders

A friend of mine recently told me about his interest in joining Doctors Without Borders (for those of us that speak English), the non-profit organization that spreads medical aid throughout the world. And I say kudos. I currently do not have the guts to do something like that. I'm working on it, though.

If you'd like to know what type of work they do, check out the parent website for DWB / MSF. I just looked at it, and they had a press release proclaiming that Abbott Laboratories has yet to fill their order for AIDS medication from over a month ago. And that Abbott has yet to make it's most effective AIDS medication available outside of the U.S.

Also check out the Canadian website, which has an interesting and alarming piece about DARFUR. Yes, our old friend that George Clooney publicized a month or two ago. It seems that the World Food Program, which is pretty much the only organization providing survival aid to the refugee camps, is being forced to cut in half the vital food rations that it is able to supply. Why? Because they are seriously crippled by lack of funding. Apparently, all that amazing publicity by Clooney (see my post from May) did jack squat. Personally, I think it has something to do with people not giving a shit about Africa. That theme has come up in a number of my posts, and I can't see it going away any time soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

I think you feel the same way I do: the frustration mounts. Arguing politics is all fine and good, but you have to dig your nails into the dirt to find out what's really going on. Candidate X, Y, and Z aren't trying at all. It's the people involved in NGOs like MSF that are really giving 100+%.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home