Thursday, September 21, 2006

Inspired by a true piece of crap

What is with the recent influx of movies coming out of Hollywood that are "inspired by a true story"? This includes Dreamer, Eight Below, Glory Road, North Country, Invincible, and the brand spanking new Flyboys. What ever happened to "based on a true story"? Was that not exciting enough? I've come to the conclusion that either the studios are taking more artistic (I use that sparingly) licence with the stories than before, or the studios are having less success ripping off someone's story without paying for it. The second reason may not be that far-fetched. There are plenty of classic movies that were largely inspired by real life events or characters (Citizen Kane comes to mind). Maybe now people are forcing studios to shell out money if a character comes even close to mirroring them. Just a thought.

Also, while surfing this subject on the net, I came across this review for Flyboys. I only mention it because it includes the following paragraph:

“Based on a true story.” “Inspired by a true story.” Do you know why this is prominently displayed? If you hate it, you are un-American. These movies are (unless about serial killers and politicians) always heroic tales of quite ordinary people. You have got to be heartless not to cheer these working-stuffs on.

I thought the disclaimer was funny: don't make fun of these movies, because they are about noble and couragous people -- unless it's about serial killers and politicians, of course.

Aside: some of you may have seen the movie Simon Birch and loved it. I am not one of them. The movie is "inspired" by the book A Prayer for Owen Meany. It's "based" on the first hundred pages of the book, and then takes a dive into Hollywood B-list writer hell. I found the book amazing, and the movie trying too hard to tug at my heartstrings.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canadian pilots were fighting long before the Americans had dreams of valour in the Great War. A Canadian (Roy Brown) is credited with shooting down the Red Baron. Roy Brown aslo never lost a pilot in his squadron during combat. When I see previews for Flyboys, all I can think is, "Oh, the humanity!"

11:21 AM  
Blogger hungry like a hypocrite said...

I would also like to take the time to announce my hatred of "simon birch". A truly tastless book to movie adventure that sours any fan of "a prayer for owen meany". Also, as a side note, I thought the kid in that movie was lame and had a fred savage sized head. That thing was huge...remember football head donavan?

3:22 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Are you saying that the kid had a head the size of Fred Savage's entire body? If you're making fun of the kid's head, that's rude; but if you're making fun of Fred Savage, that's funny! I'd like to thank you for introducing me to the book before the movie had a chance to ruin me.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home