Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Event of the Century!



Stephen Colbert and Bill O'Reilly are appearing on each other's shows on January 18th. I'm assuming there will be some light-hearted sparing, but I don't doubt a few heavy comments will be passed as well. I've see O'Reilly on other programs such as Letterman and he's not usually the same horse's ass that he is on his own show. Is this because, like a bully, he only feels comfortable yelling and pointing fingers at housewives in his own studio, with his own security? Perhaps. And it's true that Colbert owes his success to O'Reilly, who is the inspiration for Colbert's characterization on the show. Unfortunately, it's in the same way as in the End of the Depression is owed to World War II, or the way Columbus/Pizarro/Cortes owe their success to enslaving a continent. I suppose those metaphors are inexact: I like Colbert and not Cortes. The point is, it's a shame the subject is around for someone to make a success off of. In other words, O'Reilly, please stop doing your show. I liked you better on Inside Edition.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

alas, brilliant satire usually comes from troubled times.
here's to real peace everywhere and realy, realy boring telly!
k.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

amen to that! I hope a day comes when Peter Mansbridge stares into the camera with a twinkle in his eye and says, 'folks, nothing bad happened today! Everybody's happy!' And then he starts dancing around in his skivvies. Although that episode would probably end in the psych ward.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah,Pete Mans in skivvies!
:D
i would PAY to see that!
thanks for making me smile, Kris.
k.

4:56 PM  
Blogger BelNor said...

HA!! This will be great! I can't believe O'Reilly agreed to do it!! I mean it is like the big bully in school sharing time with the snot nosed smart assed kid who makes fun of the bully to all the other kids.

I think O'Reilly is different on the other programs because he is a bully and he knows his demographic isn't watching, so he has to eat some humble pie. Letterman really stuck it to him, and Colbert does it nightly as a parody of O'Reilly's show.

I'll have the popcorn ready for this one!!

-bling bling-

2:55 PM  
Blogger BelNor said...

okay so my handle is a little screwed. But yes I started my own blog, and if you check up on it, you'll see a pic of my kid!!!

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home