Thursday, July 20, 2006

Gore Gives A Shout Out to Fort Mac!

I'm always interested when something local gets a nod from the international community. In the most recent issue of Rolling Stone [RS 1004/1005], Al Gore discusses his ideas about global warming and has this to say about the Fort MacMurray region:

"The fact that oil is beginning to get more expensive more quickly will contribute to the realization of how dysfunctional our current pattern is. Take the tar sands of western Canada. For every barrel of oil they extract there, they have to use enough natural gas to heat a family's home for four days. And they have to tear up four tons of landscape, all for one barrel of oil. It is truly nuts. But you know, junkies find veins in their toes. It seems reasonable, to them, because they've lost sight of the rest of their lives." (RS 1004/1005:46)

Which is a viewpoint that I have to agree with. The sucky thing is this: I love all the things that oil provides for me. I won't sugar-coat it: life is good right now. Plus, as an archaeologist, I know that for the most part my employment opportunities depend on the exploitation of natural resources. So damn it all!

Seriously, though, I'm willing to have to go into another career if it means that people start taking global warming and resource depletion seriously. It just means I have to fall back on my second career option: rock star!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will support your bid to be a rock star... as long as you call your band The Giant Human Femurs.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

My first single will be "I Saw A Digital Picture, So It Has To Be True."

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it from someone who is witnessing the complete annihilation of our other, more precious natural resources in northern Alberta as we speak. It's appalling that someone said 'hey, let's tear up every living tree and fill in every pristine wetland and creek and river for the sake of black gold. It looks like the atomic bomb went off up here, and it doesn't smell so great either. Is it worth it?? I went into this profession because I have conscience and want to preserve our environment, not destroy it. While I am not the one personally driving the dozer or worse yet a card-carrying member of the monster corporations planning this assault am I still supporting what's happening by becoming a part of the process?? If this continues archaeologists won't have a job anyways because there won't be any evidence left at all. Of anything. If the government of Saskatchewan decides 'hey, we've got oilsands too, let's get in on this and make a little dough' I hope that they take a good long look at northern Alberta before they tear headlong into some quick fix venture, when there are more environmentally friendly extration methods being researched. It's not like the oilsands are going anywhere anytime soon. What's 10 more years if it means we get to keep our lakes and trees and smog-free heady northern air, not to mention those cute little black bears that like to chase well-meaning archaeologists up trees for fun every now and again?

10:33 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Damn straight! It's interesting that the professional side of archaeology has become a 'lesser of two evils' sort of thing: our jobs involve the identification and protection of heritage, but only in the face of certain and complete destruction of said heritage. Oddly enough, a friend just sent me a CBC story in which Ralph Klein decries the idea of long-term environmental planning in the tar sands area. He basically says that long-term planning is stupid. I'm surprised that such a self-centred guy enjoys a career in public office. Oh wait, no I'm not. I guess 'think of the children' is just a catch-phrase.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home