Saturday, May 19, 2007

Prince Charles is Working it!


Bonnie Prince Charles has recently decried politicians’ refusal to fight climate change and has vowed to become a better advocate concerning the issue. I was surprised to learn that he runs an organic farm on one of his estates. He also owns a multi-million dollar line of organic foods (Duchy Originals), whose profits go completely to charity.
He’s begun cutting down on annual holiday trips in an effort to spend less time in an airplane. Interestingly, he also plans to publish the ways that his own lifestyle affects the environment. This would appear in his annual review of his accounts, which is written every year.
Although I was enthralled by his actions, a friend of mine pointed out to me that he isn’t involved in offering solutions. This is true. So while he isn’t going as far as he could, I am optimistic enough to like the direction he’s going. He is working on his carbon footprint, finding ways to reduce his household’s carbon emissions.
So at least he is starting with himself, which I think is the biggest obstacle in combating climate change: that people figure ‘who cares if I do it, no one else will’ and don’t even bother. So people, start with yourself and worry about your neighbours afterwards.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

allright, allright, so he's doing exactly what i've been trying to do for the last couple of years. well, apart from the million dollar organic farm. but in spite of not owning a house to reduce carbon emmisions of, i too have cut down drastically my vacation time and leisure air travel (to absolute 0, my friends, top that Charlie boy!)
anyway, i still wonder whether in his case leading by example will have much effect on his nation...
k.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually posted while we were in St. John's (and didn't mention it)? And now I just feel bad for the three flights I took to get home.

D

9:44 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Yes, the irony of posting this message between flying on two trans-canadian flights is not lost upon me. So k., you're still one up on us! And you now have a degree to prove it!

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home